Friday, December 4, 2009

If Only these Stones Could Talk





This is the large rock formation above the bigger pond on the ranch.  Actually right now, it is not much more than a puddle, but when it is like this it is easier to move up into the rocks and see the caves a little better.  Although there is a rather grumpy badger that lives around here and one has to be careful not to run into him while exploring.



This rock formation is just amazing.  I can't even begin to imagine how long it has been here.



This is a picture from last year after the spring runoffs.  It gives you an idea of how tall the rocks are above you when you are down there near the caves.  This is such a special place.  It just has that feel to it.  I know I am not describing it well, I hope you have an idea of what I am talking about.  A special place that really speaks to you.  Where you feel connected to something much more than yourself.
Where is that special place for you?

There are signs all over that it has been enjoyed and utilized by many people before us.  These are some of the grinding holes we have discovered in the rocks out in front of this pond area:



When the water level is high and the water is flowing you can almost imagine one of the many tribes of Indians that populated this area camping here and going about their daily tasks.  These are three of the tribes that I know about:

 
 






If only these stones could talk...can you imagine what they might have to say?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure they would sing wonders, but they can't, so we need to thank you for giving them a voice with your wonderful pics and comments. Thanks so much for sharing this bit of culture!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments so I know you stopped by...